I do not regularly procrastinate. Indeed, I am a bit of a spaz (spazz?) when it comes to getting work done well ahead of time. Still, my SSHRC application is due in no less than 23 days and I find myself struck lame by laziness. Currently I am listening to Fleet Foxes (“The sound of ancient voices ringing soft upon your ear” – Oliver James) and watching the sun settle over my world.
Today was a day for cold amber ales, patios, swimming with friends, and saying goodbye to the lingering days of summer. Of course work has to start again. Of course I will be in panic mode 5 days from now. Of course I am anxious about the times ahead. But none of these concerns seem important in these halcyon hours.
Load these songs on your zune (or iPod… whatever), lay back in the grass, and take a deep breath. Sometimes the simplest pleasures are the most worthwhile.
1. Fleet Foxes – Oliver James
2. Iron and Wine – Love Vigilantes
3. Sufjan Stevens – They are Night Zombies! They are Neighbours!
4. Bon Iver – Re Stacks
5. Tegan and Sara – Alligator
6. Demon Host – Timber Timbre
7. Right Away, Great Captain – Love, Come Save Me
8. Fleetwood Mac – Landslide
9. Mathew Ryan – Some Streets Lead Nowhere
10. Great Lake Swimmers – Your Rocky Spine
11. Primitive Radio – Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand
12. Calexico – Bisbee Blue
13. Fionn Regan – Snowy Atlas Mountains
14. Alela Diane – Oh! My Mama
15. Nouvelle Vague – Dance with Me
16. Patrick Watson – The Great Escape
17. Ray LaMontagne – Hannah
18. The Wooden Sky – Oslo
19. Basia Bulat – Why Can’t it Be Mine
20. Novi Split – You Got Served
21. Josh Ritter – The River
22. Breathe Owl Breathe – Where Wolf