Well said, Clement. Well said indeed. Still, it is New Years Eve and I cannot let December 31st roll around without making a resolution or two. Here is a long-winded list of 17 things I intend to accomplish in 2012. Some are silly and some are serious and together they comprise the skeleton of a year well lived. Cheers to all the friends and acquaintances who will help me accomplish these goals and who will share in my victories and defeats.
1. Present a paper at my first conference. I find it helps to start lists off with things I am already certain of.
2. Drink more water. My Lululemon shopping bags have been telling me to do this for years and it is time I started taking good advice. When I drink more water I feel healthier, happier, and better equipped to take on the world.
3. Spend more time with K.E.R. We live in the same house and have known each other for a million years but we still don’t spend enough time together. I hope 2012 will be filled with movie nights, half-drunk bottles of wine, and quality time spent making full English breakfasts (bacon included… of course).
4. Practice the guitar and ukulele more often. It bothers me to no end that I own 3 great instruments and rarely get the time to practice them.
5. Read 30 books and post reviews online. I had a discussion with my mom about how many books we thought I could finish in a year. The number was closer to 100 than 30 but I have decided to dilute this list down for the sake of the blogoshpere. One of my great passions is reading and sharing books with friends. I thus resolve to read 30 books worth reviewing and to post accordingly. Stay tuned.
6. Celebrate my brother’s upcoming wedding, aussie-style. Who knows what this involves but I look forward to the festivities nonetheless.
7. Finish my MA thesis. Probably the most serious resolution on this list and undoubtably the one that will ocupy the majority of my time. Hopefully it will be worth the effort!
8. Visit at least 2 friends I havent seen since college.
9. Do yoga at least 3 times a week. I was doing a pretty good job of going 4-5 times a week at the beginning of the 2011/12 school year but my persistence faded in the face of grad school applications and water-polo induced exhaustion. But yoga makes me happy, fit, flexible, and relaxed and I am determined to attend more regularly and improve more rapidly (handstand… here I come!).
10. Perfect a handstand (see above).
11. Start studying for my PhD. Okay, this one is going out on a limb because I have already done everything I can do to ensure that it comes true. It is as much a dream as a resolution. In that vein, I hope that my time spent applying to schools will have been well spent.
12. Travel. Somewhere. Anywhere. Wanderlust has her claws in deep.
13. Improve my 50m freestyle interval time. This one really speaks for itself. I am tired of being the slowest person on pre-scrimmage sprints.
14. Go camping. I just don’t do this enough… and honestly, I live in BC! What excuse could I possibly have for not taking advantage of the wilderness.
15. Visit my cabin at least twice. If I leave Vancouver in September 2012, I will sorely regret not spending more time on the island.
16. Go curling. I can’t explain it. Maybe telling you that I am Canadian is enough to justify this. Whatever, curling is cool.
17. Win a SSHRC graduate research grant. As with the PhD resolution, this one is completely out of my hands. Still, a girl can dream!
So there you go… a few resolutions to tide me over for 2012. Any suggested additions?